This workbook is designed to give students an understanding of Acids and Bases and will lead students into Level 1 NCEA. It also includes material on writing equations and formulae.
It focuses on aspects of Levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
It gives students a base to build onto with reference to the properties of acids and bases, the pH scale, indicators, word and basic symbol equations, neutralisation and how humans use acids and bases.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve number skills, rounding, using basic formulae, graphing data and reading tables accurately. These are all vital skills in the Sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
- describe the properties of acids, bases and neutrals.
- give examples of common laboratory acids, bases and neutrals.
- use the pH scale and relate it to acids, bases and neutrals.
- identify how common indicators react to acids, bases and neutrals.
- make indicators out of common kitchen materials.
- write word equations and some basic symbol equations for neutralisation reactions.
- describe how humans use acid/base chemistry.
- carry out correct scientific procedure when experimenting.
- draw accurate graphs and tables.
- read and interpret graphs and tables.
- read and interpret information from a text with a science focus.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
Student Workbook: 40 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 64 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 18 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.
Student Workbook $5.50* (Priced for class sets only. GST inclusive, freight additional.)
If cost is an issue for your school and/or students, please contact Kay direct as she may be able to customise a payment plan to suit your needs.
A Teacher’s Guide of each title may be purchased for $20 (including GST) only when a class set of the same title is purchased.
You can place your Junior Science order now by calling Kay on 07 854 9360 and arrange a delivery date that suits you. None of our Jr Science books are available for purchase through our website.