This workbook is designed as a first step in a student’s pathway through junior science. It provides an introduction to skills, information and equipment that is used in Junior Science.
It focuses on aspects of levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
It gives students the knowledge that they need to have so they can complete investigations safely and efficiently, using a generalised template that is a basis to what is expected at NCEA Level 1.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve averaging, rounding, graphing, tabulating data and reading scales accurately. These are all vital skills in the sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
- complete practical investigations and experiments in a safe manner following correct scientific procedure.
- name and use key laboratory equipment.
- recognise different types of questions and the way in which they should be answered.
- draw accurate tables and graphs and interpret data from tables and graphs.
- write detailed conclusions based on data.
- use a Bunsen burner safely and recognise the different flames and when to use them.
- read and interpret information from a text with a science focus.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
- write up experiments following the scientific method.
- explain fair testing, reliability and accuracy of data.
- read scales accurately.
Student Workbook: 56 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 72 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 17 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.
Student Workbook $6.50* (Priced for class sets only. GST inclusive, freight additional.)
If cost is an issue for your school and/or students, please contact Kay direct as she may be able to customise a payment plan to suit your needs.
A Teacher’s Guide of each title may be purchased for $20 (including GST) only when a class set of the same title is purchased.
You can place your Junior Science order now by calling Kay on 07 854 9360 and arrange a delivery date that suits you. None of our Jr Science books are available for purchase through our website.