Now taking orders for 2018!
This workbook is designed as an introduction to basic physics information (the use of formulae). It is the first step in becoming familiar with the ways of solving physics problems which is essential for Level 1 NCEA Science.
It focuses on aspects of Levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
It provides students with the knowledge that they need in order to read and interpret word questions and then select and use an appropriate formula to calculate an answer. They will carry out simple physics based practical investigations using a template similar to what is expected at Level 1 of NCEA.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve formula use, converting units, averaging, rounding, graphing, tabulating data and reading scales accurately. These are all vital skills in the Sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
- distinguish between science quantities and units.
- recognise standard SI units and their symbols.
- convert non-SI units into standard SI units.
- use and rearrange the equation v = d ÷ t.
- read word problems and use v = d ÷ t to solve them.
- correctly write the working and answers for simple physics problems.
- identify and name the main forces acting on objects, including vehicles.
- recognise forces as being balanced or unbalanced and the effect this has on motion.
- draw and interpret distance/time graphs.
- draw and interpret speed/time graphs.
- read a text and show understanding of the key points made.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
- write up experiments following the scientific method.
- carry out experiments safely and follow principles of accurate investigations.
Student Workbook: 40 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 64 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 19 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.
Student Workbook $5.50* (Priced for class sets only. GST inclusive, freight additional.)
If cost is an issue for your school and/or students, please contact Kay direct as she may be able to customise a payment plan to suit your needs.
A Teacher’s Guide of each title may be purchased for $20 (including GST) only when a class set of the same title is purchased.
You can place your Junior Science order now by calling Kay on 07 854 9360 and arrange a delivery date that suits you. None of our Jr Science books are available for purchase through our website.