Now taking orders for 2018!
This workbook introduces the topic of reproduction in living things. It has a focus on the parts and processes involved in both animals (with a human focus) and plants (with an angiosperm focus). It covers the reproductive life cycles and processes that are part of these cycles for both plants and animals.
The workbook introduces the ideas of meiosis, mitosis, sexual and asexual reproduction, and looks at the positives and negatives of each type of reproduction.
It focuses on aspects of levels 3, 4 and 5 of the New Zealand Science Curriculum.
In this workbook, students practise completing a fair test investigation using a generalised template that links into what is expected at NCEA Level 1.
The literacy tasks in this workbook encourage the students to read for meaning, scan material, select appropriate information and understand key words. The inclusion of mini-research projects prepares students for what is required in the Senior Sciences.
The numeracy tasks involve averaging, rounding, graphing, tabulating data and interpreting graphs accurately. These are all vital skills in the Sciences and beyond.
Take a look inside this workbook* by clicking on the cover image. You can preview in fullscreen by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
*This workbook is only available for inspection online.
For a full overview and to see the other titles in our new range of Junior Science Workbooks, click here.
Specific Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this topic, students should be able to:
- describe sexual and asexual reproduction and give examples of organisms that perform them.
- list the positives and negatives of sexual and asexual reproduction.
- describe mitosis and meiosis and identify when and where each process occurs.
- explain the stages of the reproductive cycle of a generalised plant including:
- label the parts of a generalised flower and describe the basic functions of each part.
- carry out a seed and flower dissection to find and name the key structures present.
- explain the stages of the reproductive cycle of a generalised animal (with a human focus) including:
-sexual maturity (puberty)
-development and growth
- label the parts of a human reproductive system and describe the basic functions of each part.
- read and interpret information from a text with a science focus.
- write mini-research projects using scientific text.
- draw accurate tables and graphs and interpret data from tables and graphs.
Student Workbook: 48 pages
Teacher’s Guide: 64 pages
Free* Downloadable Resource: 12 pages
*Available for free download when a class set and accompanying Teacher’s Guide is purchased.
Student Workbook $6.00* (Priced for class sets only. GST inclusive, freight additional.)
If cost is an issue for your school and/or students, please contact Kay direct as she may be able to customise a payment plan to suit your needs.
A Teacher’s Guide of each title may be purchased for $20 (including GST) only when a class set of the same title is purchased.
You can place your Junior Science order now by calling Kay on 07 854 9360 and arrange a delivery date that suits you. None of our Jr Science books are available for purchase through our website.